Monday, June 6, 2011

Jhene Aiko Sailing Souls Mixtape



I've stumbled upon this mixtape over and over again within the last month.  I kept writing it off, but eventually after hearing it played by numerous friends, I decided to give it a real listen. I can honestly say i'm so glad I did.

Jhene Aiko voice reminds me of Cassie she has a really nice mellow voice, and more importantly I enjoy the subject matter in her songs.  Much of her lyrics have to do with not trusting men, failed relationship, struggles of life and decisions, raising a baby and chasing a dream, and doing what you want but struggling with image. I initially thought this was typical RnB or even pop, but this genre kind of reminds me of a conglomerate of Hip Hop and this new L.A. RnB sound (example Frank Ocean).

I am a groupie for sampling in music, and her primary producers on this Mixtape are Fisticuffs who do a really cool job of sampling Hip Hop Artist lyrics, such a good job I think that these artists are guest appearing on some of the tracks. Other notable producers are Bei Meijor, Roosevelt, J LBS, Tae Beast.  Some of the artists featured/sampled are: Kanye West, Gucci Man, Kendrick Lamar, and Miguel.  All in all it's the kind of mixtape that I'd listen to in a variety of settings kind of like Drake's So Far Gone. Definitely on my summer playlist.  Download and listen its a really good mixtape. P.S. I dont say this often but I can honestly listen to every song straight through and I lowkey get upset when it's over lol.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...